HEAL Program Internship Summer 2024
The HEAL Program internship introduces high school students of color to career opportunities in the healthcare field. Students gain exposure to health careers through experiences such as shadowing doctors, nurses, and other clinicians; skills workshops; seminars; hands-on experiences in our simulation center; and field trips. Internship options include in-school and after school experiences that include:
- Department Rotations: At the core of the HEAL experience are rotations through a variety of clinical departments at Highland Hospital, such as Labor and Delivery, Emergency Department, Intensive Care Unit, Pediatrics, Radiology, Respiratory, and more!
- Intro to Health Careers: Students are introduced to a broad spectrum of health careers and learn about the education and training requirements to pursue their career goals.
- Professional and Life Skills: Students attend classes and workshops covering topics such as professionalism, collaboration and teamwork, public speaking, and other skills that are critical to success in any career.
- Simulation Lab Experience: Gain hands-on skills in our state-of-the-art simulation center such as CPR, vitals, bedside care, etc.
- Duration: June 17, 2024 – July 26, 2024
- Schedule: Mondays – Fridays | 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
- Application Opens: December 5th
- Application Closes: January 23rd
- Interviews: Week of January 29th
- Compensation: $1,000 stipend
- ECCCO Class: Students who have been accepted into the program will be required to attend a career development class at a high school designated by OUSD.
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Currently be in the 11th grade; AND
- Be enrolled in an OUSD school/charter at the time of your application and during the duration of the cohort
Before starting the application, please note the following:
- The application must be completed in one sitting. There is not a save function; you cannot start the application and resume it at another time.
- Resume: Have an up-to-date resume ready to upload
- Short Answer (150 word minimum per question): We suggest you draft your responses to the short answer questions at your own pace in a separate document, then copy and paste it into the short answer section.
- Short Answer Questions
- What health career are you interested in pursuing? Why?
- What experiences (academic success, personal struggles, etc.) have shaped your interest in a health career?
- How will this internship experience help move you towards your goal?
- Short Answer Questions
For application questions, email us at: email@example.com