Health Excellence & Academic Leadership (HEAL) Program
The HEAL Program internship introduces high school students of color to career opportunities in the healthcare field. Students gain exposure to health careers through experiences such as shadowing doctors, nurses, and other clinicians; skills workshops; seminars; hands-on experiences in our simulation center; and field trips. Internship options include in-school and after school experiences that include:
- Department Rotations: At the core of the HEAL experience are rotations through a variety of clinical departments at Highland Hospital, such as Labor and Delivery, Emergency Department, Intensive Care Unit, Pediatrics, Radiology, Respiratory, and more!
- Intro to Health Careers: Students are introduced to a broad spectrum of health careers and learn about the education and training requirements to pursue their career goals.
- Professional and Life Skills: Students attend classes and workshops covering topics such as professionalism, collaboration and teamwork, public speaking, and other skills that are critical to success in any career.
- Simulation Lab Experience: Gain hands-on skills in our state-of-the-art simulation center such as CPR, vitals, bedside care, etc.
PLEASE READ: Before You Apply
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- Be enrolled in high school; AND
- Live in Oakland at the time of your application and during the duration of the cohort OR be enrolled in an OUSD school at the time of your application and during the duration of the cohort
Before starting the application, please note the following:
- The application must be completed in one sitting. There is not a save function; you cannot start the application and resume it at another time.
- Cohort: Make sure you know the cohort you want to apply to.
- Resume: Have an up-to-date resume ready to upload.
- Short Answer Questions (100 word minimum per question):
- What health career are you interested in pursuing? Why?
- What experiences (academic success, personal struggles, etc.) have shaped your interest in a health career?
- Where do you see yourself after high school, in pursuit of your career goals?